Experience. Expertise. Track Record.
Serving Ventura County since 1971 with unparalleled success. We pride ourselves on a deep tradition of excellence and service to both our clients and our community.
NPOs have unique needs
Myers Widders understands what makes nonprofits different. Our Nonprofit/Tax-Exempt Practice serves tax-exempt organizations and foundations throughout California.
We concentrate on:
- Tax (federal, state and local)
- General day-to-day business and corporate issues
- Refine your mission and vision statement
- Obtain State and Federal exemption status
- Establish a board of directors
- Obtain in-depth training
- Insurance disputes
- Labor and employment matters
Advocacy & Policy
Communications & Marketing
Leadership & Employee Resources
Our experienced and compassionate attorneys have provided these services to all types of nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations, including:
- Charitable organizations
- Educational organizations
- Medical research organizations
- Private foundations
- Social welfare organizations
- Think tanks
- Arts and cultural institutions
- Labor organizations
- Trade associations
- Social clubs
- Political organizations
- Community associations (HOA)
- and other non-profit organizations.
We offer comprehensive counsel to nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations, assisting them with respect to all aspects of nonprofit corporate formation, maintenance and representation.
- Preparing all organizational documents, e.g. articles of incorporation, bylaws, trusts)
- Preparation and filing of the Form 1023 or 1024 Applications for Recognition of Exemption under Sections 501(c) 3, (c) 4 (c) 6 and (c) 7 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Advice as to IRS Form 990 (Annual Tax Information Return)
- Advising on Operational Issues
- State Laws Regarding Non-Profit Legal Status
- State Regulatory Compliance
- Governance and Policy Issues
- Conflicts of Interest Policies and Interpretation
- Duties of Board of Directors and Officers
- Real Estate Transactions
- Third Party Contracts
- Formation, Restructuring and Dissolution Issues
- Liabilities of Volunteers and Internships